Happy Birthday Josie!

Happy Birthday Josie!
60th Birthday Surprise Party, 6.27.2011

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The First Step

Well, I've decided that this is going to be the easiest way to get information to everybody quickly. I know it seems impersonal in light of the situation, but try to bear with us. First of all, I want to thank everyone for your genuine care and concern. We have received so many calls and visits already, and Mama has enjoyed every one. Let's go back to the beginning so that everyone has accurate information.
We brought her up to Jackson General ER late Saturday afternoon suspicious that she might be having a stroke. She was stubborn as usual and did not want to come. After a CT scan and a chest x-ray, the ER doc came in and delivered the terrible news. Multiple brain tumors and a tumor in the upper right lung. Where do you go from there?
She had a biopsy of her lung on Monday afternoon. One of the risks of that procedure is that it left a small hole in her lung. We had hoped and thought we would be coming home Monday night, but some fluid had begun collecting in her lung and she required a chest tube. She was really disappointed, because she just wants to go home and spend some time with the grandkids. I think that would keep her from worrying so much about getting the biopsy results which may take two or three more days. We won't know anything about our options until we get those results. Maybe, just maybe, we'll go home tomorrow for some much needed rest and family time.
So many of you know all too well the struggles of a situation like this. There are just so many emotions to navigate for everyone involved. All of your visits and calls have helped encourage us and also just to pass the time. Hospitals are all about hurry up and wait! That gets old so very quickly.
Mama said at the very beginning that she just needed people who love her to be praying for her. I know that you are, and I am grateful. The Lord has blessed us with a wonderful support system, and He will see us through.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Amy - to write it out.

    THank you for keeping us up.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    So very sorry to learn of your mother's health - brain tumors/lung. There are so many wonderful treatments today. I want to encourage you in everyway.
    I have Stage III colon cancer; in 9 of 11 lymph nodes and in my blood stream. I am on a weekly regimen of chemotherapy. I was on another drug cocktail, just a bit too rough on me.
    I am here for you - always have been and always will be. I pray for her doctors to find the best treatment plan possible.
    Hugs to you. God is always ever present and in all things.
    Go purchase of copy of the newest installment of "Streams in the Desert"....read it. It's been like salve for the soul. How it always speaks to what is going on is only one thing: God. i love you, Amy, kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    There is also a site called, "Caringbridge" that you can add to a journal and then everyone else can respond. However, this seems very easy.

    Of course, we are worried sick! We are praying hard ever since the news. Anyway we can help we are there! I told Micah if he has to go back to work in June and it is necessary to take Ella and Jonah, I'll be happy go to OK and keep them, cook, wash, etc. Of course, they'll have to get used to eating crap, because YOU really know how to cook. I thought Lydia might need to be with you because you are nursing. I know Ella is so upset because she can't be with Grand. What a mess! How did this happen and what is the purpose? If she needs neurosurgery and you want the best place - M.D. Anderson is no. 1 and Baylor is good too. You are welcome to come here and stay with the kids while she gets the best help possible! ANYTHING Micke and I can do we are ready. We love you all so much and I too love my dear friend - Josie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    I lift my voice in prayers and send my very best wishes to Josie, you and the rest of the family during this time. I feel as if I know Josie personally because of Dell's often shared stories and expressed love for her and your family. Please know that if there is anything that I can do let me know. I have Josie's name on our Church Prayer List.

    God Bless,
    Barry Hutto
    Job 23:10

    Charleston SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josie -- I am very sorry to hear about this. You will be in our prayers from now on. I am Brenda Etheridge DePriest-- Sherry Brook's mom. Josie, you remember that we grew up together at Mars Hill. Mother and I speak of you and your family quite often. She is here in Linden with me now. Again, I will remember you often and will keep myself informed about your progress. In Christian Love, Brenda E. DePriest

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith Littlefield SundbyMay 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM

    Your extended Carothers/Littlefield Family all over the country is praying for Josie and all of you. We pray that through the Grace of God and His medicine Josie will find strength of body and spirit. During difficult times my family has found comfort time and time again from Philippians: "Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; think on these things." Love and Blessings to you all. Edith Littlefield Sundby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm praying for Josie. She's one of my favorite cousins!

    Lela Jones Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way of presenting the news. You have got to be related to Dell. I am a distant cousin researching the Carothers family and Dell has helped so much. We are honoring our grandmother, Leann Carothers, at our Littlefield Reunion memorial weekend. Dell and I were chatting daily several times on the email and so it was natural that he would just call when he received such scary news. I assured him I believed in prayer and would do my part to help his beloved Josie to get the right help. After all this research I have begun to feel I also lived in McNairy Co and were part of the family back there. He had already told me Josie was going to check on some pictures and then he told me quite proudly, everyone knows Josie. So tell your mother his little brother is talking really nice about his big sister. He can fill you in on the rest of the story. He told me you had come from Okla to see your mother and my first thought on Monday was how lucky you were not to be on the road back home. My sister lives in Norman and my granddaughter goes to Okla Univ. Her mother is there right now loading up her things to bring her back to Cincinnati for the summer. They got a first hand look at the tornado as it began churning in the sky before it did so much damage. But you have had your own damage there with one lately. Dell assured us the old Willis and Elma Carothers tombstones are still standing. And keep the chin up. Dell mentioned Houston. I am a big fan of Mayo Clinic in Minn. It has a beautiful cancer center. You know you will be in good hands just walking up to the door. What a bright beautiful place of hope. You might consider what they have to offer as well, if it comes to that. Sincerely, Ann Littlefield Coleman (from the bunch of Carothers that went to Fletcher, Okla in 1907. Ann Littlefield Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see my post didn't post. I hope you rec'd my email, Amy. Will be in touch. Peace and calm for your mother's anxious heart. Waiting is so very hard. I hope she gets to go home and spend her "waiting time" with her grandkids and with those who love her so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our thoughts and prayers with all of you.
    Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for God's complete healing over this. Angela Griffin - Adamsville

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting us know you stopped by.