Happy Birthday Josie!

Happy Birthday Josie!
60th Birthday Surprise Party, 6.27.2011

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Answered Prayers

At this point many of you may have already heard the good news we received this week. First of all the abdominal/pelvic CT scan showed nothing suspicious. Then she had a colonoscopy yesterday morning that confirmed those results. It was all clear and normal. Thank the Lord for the answer to those prayers. Also, the pneumothorax appears to have resolved. She got a larger chest tube a couple of days ago and, although more painful, it seems to have worked. We are waiting to have it clamped this morning. If all goes well we could be going home tomorrow.
Micah and I have met with Dr. Kovalic, the radiation oncologist here in Jackson. He has been very patient to answer our questions and provide us with information that is helping us make the best decisions regarding her care. We are still looking to MDA in Houston for a second opinion. I just don't feel comfortable making these kinds of decisions based on the opinions of one doctor no matter how good he is. This situation is just far too serious. The sheer volume of information in a situation like this is so overwhelming, and it quickly becomes so difficult and confusing to navigate. Part of the puzzle is taking medical facts and reconciling them with our faith. Listening to the doctors with their tests and scans and statistics and prognosis can become a real beat down if you let it. Slowly but surely I am able to take their "facts" and turn to the Lord. It always hurts to have your faith pressed, no matter what your situation. We are learning to focus on our daily bread (thanks Amber) and not on our weekly or monthly bread. Can we ask (and by ask I mean beg) the Lord for time for her that he has not promised any of us? Let's all get up this morning and ask how we can serve Him today not what can he do for us tomorrow. Keep those prayers going up. Thank you.

9 comments:

  1. Amy, I am so moved by your love for and faith for the Lord. I am so thankful for the good news you've been receiving! And, I know what you mean about trying to reconcile what you hear medically with your faith. When I was first sick 5 years ago, I heard a variety of opinions from many other people besides my oncologist and primary doctor. They all meant well but I ultimately had to tune them out and trust my doctors (many were wanting me to seek holistic medicine, which I decided to do as a last resort, if the recommended treatments didn't work). Getting a second opinion, especially from MDA is a great thing to do. If you hear the same thing, you know you're on the right track. If you hear something different, then you'll be a step closer to getting to the correct diagnosis/treatment. Either way, you'll feel a greater sense of peace as you and your family try to make decisions. Please tell your mother that I am holding her up in prayer. God is with you, no matter what. Keep leaning on Him. Much love - Donna White

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words of wisdom! I grow more proud of the woman you've become everday! But I also know that a GREAT woman raised you! I am blessed to know and love you both!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so thankful for the good news today and for the wisdom God is granting you in making the best decisions for your mom. It is a daunting task, and one in which you can only move along one day at a time. He will give you grace and joy in the journey. I can't wait to hear that Josie is home enjoying her sweet family. Watching Lydia last night, I thought of how much she will just enjoy being with them. They are so precious. I appreciate the love and concern you are showing your mama.I know she is proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious. Yes, and amen. I live in that world...and knowing every single slice of that bread comes down from heaven. We pray for Josie.
    love kathyrn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good daughter, and what good care you're giving your Mama. Josie is blessed to have you and Micah. That good news is a real faith builder! There's a multitude of prayers continually reaching heaven for your Mama's strength and endurance through this trying time. She's precious,I know she loves the Lord, and He will be with her every step of the way. Waiting for more updates, and praying for y'all.Love Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I am so happy to hear some good news about Josie and know you are too. I am praying that she gets to go home today so she can spend time with your precious children and all of you. You are doing such a good job taking care of her and of letting everyone know what's going on! She is so proud of you! I know it's overwhelming trying to go over all the information to make the best decisions for her, but I think you are doing the right thing in getting a second opinion and especially how you are relying on God every step of the way. That is such a testimony of your faith and of Josie's. We are keeping Josie and all of you in our prayers. Please tell her we are and that we love her.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I sit here and read your post, I can't help but cry and praise my savior for what he is doing in through this family. He is still on his throne, and He loves us so much. A scripture comes to my mind,Romans8:28. We just have to cling to His word and trust in Him. I love You guys.
    Love in Christ,
    Stacey Moore

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad shes home cant wait to see you guys again. Still praying for all of you. See you soon as I can.
    Love,
    Judy Harris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting us know you stopped by.